Sunday, November 1, 2015

Tying my Shoe

Tying your Shoe

Ok, so I don’t know why my mind works the way it does sometimes but this morning I woke up thinking about tying my shoe. Maybe it is because I have five kids and someone always needs to tie their shoe. Maybe it is because my oldest two kids refuse to un-tie their shoes and just slip them on and off which bugs the snot out of me. Maybe it is something a little deeper.

As I was lying there in bed thinking about tying shoes I remembered clearly the first time that I tied my own shoe. I was sitting on the front step of our Plant City house on Pennsylvania Ave. I was going outside to play and had decided to take my shoes out and “by myself” attempt to tie them. The first attempt was a failure. The shoelaces were in a disjointed mess and resembled spaghetti noodles. The second attempt was much better but I had not left enough on the ends so that when I pulled the loops tight the ends pulled thorough also. But, the third time I attempted to tie my shoe it was a success. I remember sitting there staring at that beautiful work of art. I was so excited that I stood up, turned around and ran back inside with only one shoe on to proclaim my success to anyone in the house who would listen. I then returned to my step of success to repeat this incredible feat upon my other shoe. It took me a couple of tries but I did it. I had successfully learned to tie my shoes. From that moment on I was no longer “tied down” to depend on someone else to tie my shoes.

So what in the world does all of this have to do with anything you may ask? I am glad that you asked! It came to me that as the years continued I never really had to give any thought to how I tied my shoes. I would simply step into my shoes bend over and tie them and then move on. I had become a shoe-tying machine. It was routine to me. No real cognitive thought needed. It was a routine part of my day. It wasn’t until I started working with children that it became necessary for me to think through the process of tying your shoe so that I could pass on that wisdom to another.

Now you may be thinking about the shoe tying process as you read this. You may be thinking about how you would teach someone else to tie his or her shoe. Good! That is the point of this blog- to get you to think. There are many different methods of teaching someone to tie their shoe. There is the “bunny around the tree in the hole” method. There is the “bunny ears” method (my personal favorite). Also, there is the “granny knot lock and loop” method. These are, of course just names for tying a simple knot and securing your remaining strings so that your shoes will stay on your feet.

Here is my point: no matter how old you are, tying your shoe goes from a huge life moment to a humdrum activity with no attention to detail or care. It becomes a common practice with little or no focus or appreciation. I feel like too many people in America have gotten up today, tied their shoes and gone to church. They drive the same path, park in their same spot. Go in the same door. Sit in their same seat. Say hello to the same people. Sit, Stand, Sing, Greet, Sit, Pass the plate, Listen Half Heartedly, Stand, Sing, Leave and Go Eat.

Going to church for most believers has become a common practice with little or no focus or appreciation. It has become as commonplace as tying your shoes.

It is time for church leaders to change things up. To stir the pot, shake up and wake up the body of Christ.


It is time for the body of believers to open their eyes! See the beauty of each morning. Rise to the call. Get out of their comfort spot. Learn to look with fresh eyes at the awe and wonder of a room filled with believers and non-believers. Stop and enjoy every aspect of a worship service. We have the opportunity to gather together in a public place and to worship the Creator King. We have the responsibility to serve others! We are not placed here for our own comforts and self-righteous desires. We are called to teach, serve, help, show, grow and lead by example. So whatever you have to do to wake yourself up from your lazy self-imposed trance do it! Rise Up church! Return to that moment of awe and wonder of when you first asked Christ into your life. 

Live so that others see Him in You! 

Honor the King by teaching someone else how to tie his or her own shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment