Sunday, November 8, 2015

Here is an Update

Hello all! I wanted to give you all an update on my past few days.

Thursday some dear, incredible friends surprised us. Granny Alice and Papa Jim came to stay with us (Tricia) during my procedures so she would not be alone. These two dear friends are like family. They have mentored Tricia and I over the past decade and we love them dearly. Alice said that she felt like God told her that they had to come and be here this weekend for/with us. I am so glad she listened!!!

Thursday late afternoon I checked into the hospital. There I received two units of platelets. They were hoping to raise my count from 30 to 100 but it only went to 60. They decided to go on with the scheduled procedures and to infuse more platelets during the process.

Friday morning we had some of our best friends from Orange Park come to the hospital and spend the morning with us. I had so much fun laughing and talking with the Lambs, Papa Jim and Granny Alice. Their time with me that morning was a refreshing distraction. We had a wonderful time of prayer together before the Lambs left.

Around 1:30 they took me down for a lymphoid biopsy and a port placement but they decided to do the lumbar puncture while I was there.

I am so thankful that Granny Alice and Papa Jim listened and obeyed God. They stayed with Tricia during the three plus hours of my procedures. None us knew how critical their attendance would be during what came next. For the next few hours they became instruments of God to support and care for Tricia and I during what was coming!

The biopsy went well. Then things began to go south.

During the spinal tap they hit a nerve not once but twice which caused a muscle spasm each time in my left hip. Ten minutes after the procedure I had a major muscle spasm and cramping in my left hip and buttocks and leg and foot. I have never experienced so much pain in my entire life-ever! Alone with only the nurses I lay screaming and crying begging for help and relief. They finally gave me medication, which helped to mask the pain. The spasms ceased enough for me to calm down and for them to install the port.

After the port was installed they took me to my room. As I entered my room I had another major muscle spasm and cramp. I scared everyone including my transporter because I was in so much pain I could not speak. All I could do was cry and moan. Tricia, the Garners and my nurses helped work out the cramps. I could once again calm down and speak but was very loopy from all the meds and pain. At this point I was able to tell all about what had happened down stairs and the cause of my cramps.

Then we had some visitors; some friends from Orange Park surprised us. The Tarkington's (my old Pastor and his wife) came to see us. I don't remember everything from their visit. I was in and out, but at one point I remember looking up, seeing them and saying hello. It was not until Saturday that Tricia told me that they had been there for a while before I said "hello" and that I had even talked to them before I said "hello". Thus the candy bar gift from Tricia on Saturday that calls me "Loopy". I guess I earned that one! The Tarkington's spent some time with us and I remember parts of their visit. (Sorry guys, I do not remember too much of our time together). The last thing I remember is them praying a very kind and loving prayer for me! Their visit meant a lot.

Not long after the Tarkington's left I had another spasm and cramping. This one was worse. It eased but was quickly followed up by another major spasm causing my entire left side from my back down to tighten up. I again could not talk. This is when Tricia sent out the "Pray for Skipper" Facebook message. All I could do was cry, scream and moan. Occasionally I was able to whisper a word or two. They got the nurse and the Doctor. After what seemed like forever, the pain subsided some and spasms decreased. The doctor prescribed a muscle relaxer and a painkiller. About an hour after taking the heavy-duty muscle relaxer, my muscles relaxed, the pain began to go away and I was able to sleep.

I cannot even begin to say how incredibly thankful I am that Granny Alice and Papa Jim listened and obeyed God. They were truly there when Tricia and I needed them most. I cannot begin to imagine if Tricia had to go through all of that by herself. Papa Jim and Granny Alice not only helped take care of me they literally held Tricia up during all of my pain and agony when I was unable to speak.

I awoke on Saturday to no cramps but every muscle in my left lower side is swollen and sore. I am moving and walking very slowly. I can not get up out of the chair without help as my muscles are so sore. I am home now and my levels are up to a low safe point so I do not have to wear a mask right now. I have been able to hold and hug on my kiddos! Friends from church brought us an incredible meal that hit the spot!

I spent Saturday night holding my kids, snuggling with my girls and sharing with the boys all that had transpired over the past few days. I was able to explain to them that even in the pain, I love, trust and do not blame God. We had a great family prayer time Saturday night.

The plan is for me to start chemo this week sometime.

Based on my past transfusions, my levels will not stay up for long so they predict I will be back on a mask soon. I still cannot be around crowds or the kids a lot.

The prayers from my family and friends were felt. They were appreciated. The text messages and the notes and cards from my faith family mean a lot to me. Your words of encouragement and up lifting thoughts have helped me through some very low and scary points during the past few days. The meals and acts of love are gifts with an unending value.

It is 4:30 am Sunday as I sit here and finish this note. My muscle soreness level is down to almost a two. I am reminded of God's unending Love and His Soldiers of the cross who have been praying for my family and me. As I continue to wait for answers I know that my God has a plan and that he has sent many warriors to stand alongside us. Friends, family and Christ Jesus are all I need to get through this.

How can you pray?

-Pray that this mess will be something treatable and curable

-Pray that while my immune system is low and I am quarantined to a separate part of the house with limited contact from anyone, that I stay germ free.

-That Tricia stays well since she taking care of everyone.

-Pray for my Mom, Tricia and my boys as they are scared and worried.

-Pray for Strength and peace as I travel the unknown path

-Pray for God's provision to cover the medical expenses (thankful that we do have insurance, and that I can work from home some)

-Pray for Our kids as they adjust to all of this and that they stay well.

-That we will look outside of ourselves and recognize the opportunities He gives to minister to others we encounter on this journey.  I could tell you many stories where God has already allowed us to share our faith and one person has already accepted Christ through this process.

-Pray that we will be quick to obey Him in all that He asks of us.

-That God will be known and glorified in all of this!!

Thank you for your concerns and your prayers for my family and me!

Blessings to each of you!

Skipper


3 comments:

  1. I will continue to pray in agreement with & for you & your dear family, Pastor Skipper! Much love & hugs for each of you!

    May the Lord bless you & keep you.
    May the Lord make his face to shine upon you,
    & be gracious to you.
    May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
    & give you peace.
    Numbers 6:24-26

    Melissa Levanduski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Skipper and your beautiful family and for your loving wife Tricia. Paster David did mention you in last Sunday's 8 AM service. Hope you get relief soon and are feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete